CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Bottle Baby

Date: May 17, 2006
Time:9:48 a.m.

Feeling: Good
Hearing: construction next door- eternally!


Ok, so last night was so crazy I don't even know where to begin. First of all Naomi woke up from her afternoon nap cranky, I thought maybe she didn't quite get enough sleep, but she was uninterested in going back to sleep. Then we tried to nurse, she would latch on for about one suck and then arch her back, pull away, push away and cry- a mad, angry cry. This sure is fun... From that description is sounds like maybe I ate something that she dosen't like and it's making my milk taste funny. Well I don't think so, she took from a bottle what I pumped for the next feeding. Anyway, So right in the middle of this my mom drops in to visit, Zach was home and he chatted with my mom for a few minutes and she held Naomi while I make a bottle of half formula and half pumped breast milk. I would do all breast milk but I can't seem to pump that much.
So then told my mom I was going to nurse Naomi, or at least try, so I went into Naomi's room. My mom talked for a few minutes more to Zach about our house selling and when we are moving etc.
Meanwhile I tried to nurse again with the same results. So I gave Naomi the bottle- with the slow flow nipple on it, I don't want the bottle to be sooo easy and attractive for her. Well once she had eaten she was super happy, and so sweet. It makes me wonder why I'm trying so hard when we could both be just as happy bottle feeding. I don't know...
Well she was happy and loving life, took a short night nap, like she always does before her last feeding before bed and she woke up hungry but again- wouldn't nurse! This time I just took a deep breath and gave her a bottle like she wanted. I only did 4 oz, allthough I know she can take up to 6 sometimes.
Well here's where things got crazy and I probably made some lame decisions. Ok, so it's about 8:20p.m. and I decide I am going to buy a breast pump. I want an elecrtic one, I rented one from the hospital before and it worked great so I know that the problem is probably me with the stupid hand pump. Ok, so Naomi and I head off to WalMart, about 15 minutes away. She decides she HATES the car tonight and cries the whole way there, won't take her binkie either- which she usually loves. Ok so now we are at WalMart and guess what, all of the sudden they don't carry electric breast pumps anymore, like as of today. AHHHH. I was frustrated and Naomi could tell, she was unhappy too. Mostly it was because she was now tired and ready for bed. I had dropped Zach off at an appointment that he should be dont with by 9:15. I decided to quick check ShopKo a block or so down, no luck there either.
Ok, so now we headed back home with NO breast pump and both of us very tired and upset. Naomi had spit up an insane amount of milk on our way to WalMart, she does spit a lot but she was soaked by the time we got there.
Once at home Naomi had fallen asleep in the car, I transfered her to her crib but she woke up and wouldn't hear of going back to sleep. In fact she was acting hungry. I decided to try it again. I sat down with her in the rocking chair to nurse and WOW she nursed! My let-down was taking forever so I switched sides so she could get more foremilk before she got too impatient and then it came and she nursed a full feeding, both sides and then went to bed. - A little late to bed but it ended ok just the same.
The middle of the night feeding, at 4:30 this morning went great and so did the 8:00 a.m. feeding. So just 3 or so more feedings to go today and hopefully she will nurse!
Naomi just seems to like the bottle especially for the late afternoon feeding and sometimes for the last feeding. I'm going to order a breast pump online today, wish me luck!
Here's a link that has some interesting and helpful breastfeeding/pumping info. http://niyafsbfgroup.blogspot.com/

No comments: