CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 15, 2008

3 on a plane




We made it. We are now in North Carolina! The flight(s) were a little long but Naomi and James were great flyers.... it was getting all three of us through security that was difficult. Picture this: James in car seat, in stroller, Naomi in back of stroller, it's a sit 'n stand:), two carry-on bags hanging from stroller handle and Naomi's car seat face down over the top of James' car seat shade/handle/stroller shade. Enter security line. Take my shoes off, Naomi's shoes off, my jacket off, Naomi's jacket off, put in bin. Take 1 quart size bag with containers of liquid or gels out of bag, remove DVD player from bag, put in bin. Take Naomi's car seat off and place on conveyor belt. Take Naomi out of stroller, hold her hand and/or pull her back to my side as she takes off towards something more interesting than mom. Take James' car seat out of stroller, fold stroller and send through conveyor belt, take James out of car seat, hold him while sending his car seat through on conveyor belt. We still haven't walked through the metal detector. The pile up is getting big on the other end; two bins, one stroller, two car seats. I walk through with no beeping. good. Now we reassemble. James into his seat first, stroller unfolded, Naomi in and STRAPPED in. shoes on, jackets on or stowed, bags hung and car seats back on stroller. Now to gate D13.

Seriously, flying with two kids on your own is not something I really recommend. It was OK, but it's juggling act. I really, really felt like a traveling circus!

Unfortunately that's not the end of it either. I choose to bring Naomi's car seat on the airplane, I feel like she's safer in it than just the seat belt, which she so suavely learned to unbuckle from watching me. oops. And I gate check the stroller and second car seat. Sometimes the flight isn't full and I can bring James' car seat on too- that's sweet. Anyway, I was getting to the boarding the airplane part. we disassemble at the gate again and then I need to get the two bags, car seat, baby and toddler onto the plane..... I still haven't managed to do it in one trip. I asked the flight attendant to help me by bringing the car seat after me. She must not have been the nice one, she blinked at me like I was asking her to let me fly the plane. But she did bring it for me, but then informed me that the car seat MUST be by the window. Apparently it will block me from making a timely exit from the plane in case of an emergency. Sigh. The guy next to me was very nice and talkative. I still feel kind of bad for him though:)

The leg from Cincinnati was much shorter and much easier. The flight attendant brought me a bottled water, straw and cookies for Naomi before we even took off. She was awesome. I'm going to send her a Christmas card.

I know I could do the whole airport/airplane thing different but in the end you still have to get from point A to point B and having a stroller for the kids and bags is easier than using a baby carrier and having Naomi walk. I would still have to take James out of the carrier to walk through the metal detector. And who knows of a two-year old that likes to hold hands? Yeah, I have a little monkey-backpack-harness I could use but then I really feel like I have a little pet dog with me, or maybe a monkey..... Maybe I'll try that next time. But I wouldn't get to gate check either car seat, or have them on the plane with me. I could check them with baggage but I only get one free "baby item" for the lap baby and we all know of the wonderful new 1 BAG policy. I think I will just stick to my miniature choo-choo train get-up for now.

In the end we made it and Zach picked us up and deposited us at our summer apartment here in Charlotte before zipping off to some social that he "really didn't want to go to." Right.

One of the best things about this summer is that Zach will be home by at least 7 every night and then that's it for work for the day. He, along with the other summer associates, does not have access to their work stuff at home. It's in-office only for them. :)

I took the kids over to the pool today even though it's only about 72 or so, Naomi LOVED it. She would only get in to about her waist. I can't blame her though, the water was very cold. James loved it too, sleeping in his car seat.

This city is so much smaller than DC. Yesterday I drove to Target and then took a different route home, basically exploring the downtown area, kind of on accident... but it's so small it's hard to get lost really. DC goes on, and on, but you are in and out of Charlotte in about 10 minutes. But the crazy thing is that Charlotte isn't really that small.

Enough about that, I gotta go back to being a mom.....


(But I have SO MUCH TO POST ABOUT! Natalie's WEDDING and all the fun in Utah!!!)

8 comments:

Katy said...

I recently flew home for a visit in Utah. Flying with kids is NO fun! I can totally relate to your experience only I had one child instead of two. People who are nice and offer to help are heaven sent. Only a parent can really understand I guess. I'm just glad my flight home is only and hour and a half. Brian is ready to get off the plane by then:)

The Over Family said...

Wow - you're quite the supermom for flying with two kids! I can't even imagine...just reading about it gave me a headache! :) I'm glad that you all made it in one piece! :)

Ashlee said...

I am so sorry had I known you were going to fly by your self I could have given you the run down. I have flown 5 round trips in the last year by my self with two kids I have the thing down to a sience. One bag no car set no baby carrier just stroller two kids with no shoes/no jackets, no liquid and flip flops for me. If you fly again please ask me for the down low! I am glad that you made it safe and had a good time in Utah. My mom said that she saw you and said that Naomi was so dang cute. I would agree!

Trisha said...

Ashlee- I will take you up on that! Your advice sounds good so far-

Krista said...

Hey there! Good to see what you're up to. Sounds like flying with two kids is crazy... unfortunately I plan to do the same thing this summer after the baby is born, to go out and see Doug! Sounds like life back east is fun! My brother and his wife are living in Charlotte right now! ...small world. Good luck to you guys!

Susan said...

Trisha! I found your blog through my friend Belinda's website. Clark and I have one: www.clarkandsuz.blogspot.com and Ruth and Kyle also have one: www.ruthandkyle.blogspot.com.
This will be a fun way to keep in touch! Hope all is well!

Monson Family Fitness said...

WOW! I seriously can't imagine! But I can totally sympathize because I hate flying myself and doing it with two kids must be really hard! I'm glad you made it through and it was so fun to see you a couple times you were here! Wasn't the wedding wonderful?

Drew and Jenny said...

I love chubby babies too! I can't believe how your little man filled out! Kaden seems to gain a new chin everyday. Anyway, you have such a cute fam and I'm excited to share out of state adventures with you!