CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, January 31, 2009

When you grow up


Naomi was watching a Dora video about jobs you can have when you grow up. They showed things like Firefighter, Police Officer, Umpire (or Ref?), Explorers, Clowns, Musicians.
You know, all those things people REALLY grow up to be...  
I suppose some people do. It was a good idea, so I decided to see if any of it was sticking with Naomi.
I asked her "What are you going to be when you grow up?"
She said "I'm going to be a Princess!"
I said "Oh really? What does a princess do?"
She said "She has a long, long dress, and sparkles and is pretty!"
I asked "Does a princess help anybody?"
She said "No, she doesn't"
I asked "What does she do?"
She said " she wears a long sparkly dress and a princess crown and a wand!"

I think we have a problem.

BUT on the flip side, I took the kids to the National Building Museum on Thursday and we played in the Building Zone. It was fantastic. Lots of room to run and be crazy. My good friend Cassie came with her kids and Naomi and Abby played like boys:) Kind of. They dressed up in the firefighter, construction worker, police officer gear and kept it on the whole time. They played with the building blocks, big soft Legos, magnet sticks, cars etc. It was a very un-princessy day. 

In all, I allow and even encourage on occasion the princess play. She loves it. She begged for dress up shoes and wands and crowns and now that she has them they are played with every day. Often I get to be a princess too. Last night Zach was bestowed the honor of being her Prince. James sometimes gets to wear don a crown and wave a wand too. He actually loves the wands, look at this picture:

It's fun to feel special and pretty and "princessy" I admit it. I like to get dressed up and feel like I'm someone important. I guess that part of it never goes away.

For Naomi's birthday I'm planning on making a cake. Last year I made a Nemo-resembling picture on her cake, for her Nemo themed birthday. She loved it.
 

I asked what she wanted this year. 
You guessed it. 
Princess.
I'm not sure exactly how to do it.

I have aspirations of something awesome, like this,
(Yeah, that's actually a cake, Hogwarts Castle)

or this
 

or this
Kidding, but that would be awesome, right?

It will really look more like the Nemo cake.

(Charm City Cakes (as seen on food network, it's located near me:) has the most awesome cakes I've ever seen. Take a look. http://www.charmcitycakes.com/)

It would be fun to have a cake like this though
I might be able to pull something decent off, maybe.
I would love some tips on how to make a great cake. I am most definitely a novice.
I guess I'm encouraging the Princess stuff again:)

As an after thought last night she informed me that she wants a Princess Monster cake. 

I think she might be disappointed....

I think I would rather she grow up a princess than monster.

9 comments:

Jenny said...

My kid wants to grow up and invent video games. Or be a movie announcer. Good luck with that one buddy, is all I can say.

Shanda makes beautiful cakes. Me, not so much. I'm usually frantically frosting the dang thing as the guests show up. I'll have to post some pictures. They should win awards for sure..

Erin Davis said...

I need a princess to spoil! Good luck with the cake!

Anne-Marie said...

I'd go for the everyday round cake with a crown on the top...my kind of decorating :)

Natalie said...

Naomi cracks me up. Who doesn't with they could be a princess every now and then. The Building Museum sounds so fun! I wish I could have made it (darn those naps!). Did it end up being just you and Cassie?

ash said...

That Hogwart's Castle is a cake? Wow! I am impressed with your Nemo cake and am sure you can pull something off that's princessy. Good luck!

Heather said...

Sounds like she has the right idea. I want to be that kind of princess too! Just sit around looking pretty and sparkle every now and then!

Andrea said...

Hey Trisha, your cousin Mark's wife here. I have been trying to figure out a princess birthday cake too! I have been collecting all my ideas on a blog so that I can find them again when I need them. Check out my link if you want to see what I've got. http://andreasideablog.blogspot.com/2009/01/princess-cake-ideas.html
I bought the Nordic Ware Palace pan and am currently trying to figure out the best way to decorate it. The bonus is it is already formed, no cake carving required. Good Luck!

Raegan said...

Trisha, I say let the girl be ambitious! I just hope you don't mind her moving to Europe with her modern day prince!

Raegan said...

Trisha, I say let the girl be ambitious! I just hope you don't mind her moving to Europe with her modern day prince!