CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 08, 2009

I'm back


Well it's been nearly a month, I thought I had almost successfully fallen off the blogging band wagon. But I decided to stay. I like blogging. And reading blogs, I like that too. I have loads of perfectly good reasons why I've been negligent with posts, but I don't need to put them down here. I know why, and that's good enough.
Before we left for the promised land, we had a fun over-nighter in Hershey, PA with the Piersons. It was awfully cold but a lot of fun. We went to our ward Christmas party that was more fun that expected. We visited the White House Christmas Tree and it was beautiful. I have an awesome photo of Naomi on Santa's lap there but I have to scan it on here so I can post it. He was the real Santa.
 
Then we had a mini adventure of volunteering to be bumped because our flight was over-booked. It was a tiring run around but we got vouchers for flights within the next year. My parents were kind enough to come and pick us up at an adjusted time of midnight!
Christmas was great. It was busy and not as relaxing as I always hope it might be. But we got to spend two weeks in Utah with family and loved it. We spent about half of our time in St. George with Zach's family. It was warmer there. In Logan though we had snow! Lots of it. Naomi and Zach, and Isaac too played in the snow until their cheeks were bright pink.  I loved having other people to help me with the kiddos. It made me happy to see my children building relationships with relatives. It felt comforting to be with family who knows me, even though it's been months since we've seen each other. My entire family was at my parents house on Christmas with the exception of my sister and her family who lives in Switzerland. I made the observation that when Zach and I were married 7 years ago, there were just 4 grandchildren on my side. (That's right, we had an anniversary!) Now there are 17(.5) grandkids! And, interestingly enough, there are currently 4 grandchildren on Zach's side. We'll see how many more the next 7 years bring. 
All my Christmas photos are on Zach's computer only, I'll try to add some later. I also downloaded some from my camera onto my parents computer and forgot to make myself a disk before we left.  Sigh.
Now we are back in "DC" but it's really Maryland, even if it's just a block, it's still Maryland. We are only half unpacked. The kids stuff is all taken care of, but our room is a disaster! :) Zach is grocery shopping on behalf of the family right now. We couldn't even make mac 'n cheese today, out of butter! So we gave in and I sent him shopping. I actually gave him the choice of doing the shopping or stay here with Naomi and James. He went shopping.
Probably part of the reason he choose to go rather than stay was because Naomi decided to be sick this afternoon. Ewww. Too bad I made the offer before she threw up. I would have totally gone! She's actually doing fine now. She seems alright. We'll see if she is sick tonight.... I'm expecting James to have an upset tummy soon too. I hate it when my kids are sick. It's so sad and you can't do much for a stomach bug. I've found letting it run it's course seems the wisest.
For other news, I have been trying to enroll Naomi in a ballet class through the county recreation department. She has two or so little friends taking it too. I got my web ID and password to register online and then went to enroll her and it denied me. Naomi won't be three by the start date (next Saturday), and it's a class for 3 and 4 year olds. Seriously. On one hand, it's like "Duh Trisha, she's not 3..." but on the other hand, she will be three in a matter of weeks. I talked to the registration office on the phone. They were nice and assured me that they could get her in, just come in to the office to do it in person. So I took Naomi with me. When we got there the gal at the desk tried to enroll me, called someone, talked in hushed tones, handed me the phone and said "she wants to talk to you." Ok. So I talked to The Wizard of Oz who said "we are so sorry, but we really don't make age exceptions for our dance classes...." So why did "you" tell me to come here in person??? So you could tell me that over the phone? Seriously. She would not bend. She was sooooo nice though. Ick.
When I got home I was mad. Angry really. Then I decided that Naomi could just keep going to the preschool at the BCC High school. (Another story, probably not going to send Naomi to preschool this semester.) Then I had a great idea. I had a wonderful, awful idea:) I logged into my online account and adjusted her birthday to fall before the start date of the ballet class. So a month early. Now I can register her. I added the class to my "basket" online but haven't gone through with it. I obviously think she will be just great with the other kids there. I just worry that maybe they will find out somehow? They don't require verification for birthdays. The problem I guess is that it's dishonest. Is it a big deal do you think???? Now I'm faced with this moral dilemma because they won't make age exceptions for their "dance" classes. I guess they make exceptions for other classes. Bleh.
So that's where I'm at. There are two spots left in the class, but not for long I'm sure. 

*** UPDATE***
I did it. Naomi's birthday is, for all intents and purposes with the Montgomery County Recreation Department, January 15th. She's going to be a little ballerina!
Did you know that ballet slipper for tiny girls cost $16.99?!

6 comments:

Natalie said...

I told you to do this so in this case yes i thinkits ok to lie. wow that sounds kinda bad, bet seriously what if they did find out, she has to quit big deal. put her in the class

Katy said...

As her parent, you are a better judge of her ability to hang with the older kids than the arbitrary age restrictions they have set up. If you think she can handle it, then go for it! (Yep, lie away!)

I'm glad you had a good trip and holiday... we need to get together!

Adam and Cassie Pierson said...

You know how I feel about it... come on, it will be fun. :) Just think back to soccer. Naomi was younger than most of the kids there and did great, most of the time. She will be fine.

Heather said...

Ahhhh! I think you stole my spot in the class! Sad! Little tear. It took forever for Montgomery county to send back my online registration and by the time they did all the spots were gone. You'd better watch out in church chica! I'll be stalking you with a diaper bag full of eggs and shaving cream! But hey at least I won't have to spend 16.99 on a pair of ballet slippers for another couple of months.

Welcome Back!
And watch your back...

Anderson Avenue said...

Hey Trisha I just wanted you to know my brother just got called to DC on his mission! You will have to let me know all of the cool places he needs to visit there!

Unknown said...

If it were my ballet class I would've made an exception! Oh, and if she stays in ballet be prepared for much more expenses! It only gets worse!