CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Random Things.


even Sick, he's so cute.

Today we were late for church. We all woke up late. James and Naomi are my alarm clock. So, we made it to Primary and Nursery. But James's face crumpled when I dropped him off at nursery. Poor baby. He reportedly pulled it together but just was a little out of sorts and kind of sad. So he was returned to his momma shortly before church was over.
Then during lunch he emptied his stomach. Cantaloupe from breakfast. Apparently he is not well yet. He had two and a half good days since he was sick Thursday morning. So this took me by surprise. He napped and then had some soothing applesauce and water. Yummy huh?
We stick to the B.R.A.T. diet when sick. Bananas, rice, applesauce, toast.

Anyway, a sick boy means simple food for everyone and lots of lounging around on the couch. Definitely no gym tomorrow. I have a race this Saturday, the top of Utah half marathon. I am not as prepared as I hoped to be and this week will prove to stay with the same trend.
Sigh.
I will finish, but not very quickly.
Also, I think I figured out what the problem I have with my knee is when I run long distances. IT band syndrome. Anyone know anything about it? I'm stretching it and paying attention to running on a flat surface and trying not to underpronate when I run. I think it helps a little bit. Also I got a strap to help stabilize my knee while I run. I felt good Saturday after my run so maybe that's a good move too.

The kids have been eating bananas and cheese and crackers while watching Dora, Diego, Word Girl, Dragon Tales, and, my personal favorite, The Electric Company. So I am here at the computer blogging.

I am trying, maybe unsuccessfully, to change my program for school. I was set to start a masters program in Family and Human Development in a week or so. Then I was having second thoughts about school and mostly about my choice of program. It being a bit generic and I want to be sure before I invest time and money (loans) into anything. What I would really like to do is the Professional School Counselor Education Program. So, be a school counselor. It's a two year, through the Summer program. 6 credits per semester and only one night a week. Perfecto. I did a short stint as an intern at my old high school alma mater during my undergraduate final semester. I loved it. I don't know why I didn't figure out that this is what I want to do sooner. But like they say, better late than never. So we'll see how things shake out this next week. Wish me luck. I would have to take a few prerequisites for this program, it's in the psychology department and I am missing a few essentials it seems.

But for other fun stuff. I like to online shop. Online fantasy shop. I have my eye on a new dress, but I question my nerve to actually wear it. To church I mean. Because where else does a girl like me wear a dress anyway?
It's Shabby Apple, what do you think? I am having a strange new liking for animal prints. Sometimes.

And then there's this one too, but maybe it's too... something, probably short. But I really like the look. Could I pull it off? Do I want to?
(I can't seem to copy a larger image of these dresses. So click the link if you need to actually see it, sorry.)

And then there are these. I've coveted a pair of Toms since I first heard about them. But, ya know. It's pricey, but it goes towards a good cause! So maybe eventually I'll get a pair, Christmas maybe? But THEN, they came out with these hot little numbers. Wedges. I heart wedges and peep toes and just heels in general. So these are probably more "essential" than the original Toms. So practical in a Northern Utah winter too, I know, I know.
Are they not so cute? I think I like Ash best.

And just one more thing to polish this off. I have a very favorite cookie recipe. It's from Peggy Cullen's "Got Milk? The Cookie Book" recipe book. I still have a handful of recipes to try, but the classic chocolate chip cookie is just that, a classic. Seems like I've posted this before, but it's worth a repost.

The Classic Chocolate Chip Cookie
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened. NOT melted, that=flat cookies, fyi.
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Use the real stuff.
1 large egg. At room temperature.
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour. (I add more, usually about 1/4 cup more, every time. It just needs to be the right consistency, not gooey, but not dry.)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (about 6 ounces) chocolate chunks or chips
1 cup (about 3 1/2 ounces) large pecan or walnut pieces, or any nut you prefer. I usually use about 1/2 cup pecan gems.
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugars, salt, and vanilla until well combined. Beat in the egg. Scrape down the bowl using a rubber spatula, and beat for a few more seconds.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix on low speed just until absorbed. Combine the chocolate chunks and nuts in a small bowl and stir into the cough.
4. Shape the dough into 1 1/2-inch balls and drop them about 3 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. For perfectly uniform cookies, scoop the dough using a 1 1/2-inch-diameter ice-cream scoop, leveling the dough off across the top before dropping onto the baking sheets. Bake for 9 to 12 minutes, or until the edges are golden. Let sit for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

These are always so perfectly yummy.

Bake some cookies and Have a Happy week!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

LOVE the red dress! You could totally pull it off. You would look good in the giraffe print too, but it may not fit at church.

Kade and Katie said...

trisha, you would look cute in anything. the animal prints seem to be in, i see them all over. good luck with your race. don't stress about it too much, you'll do great with the training you've put in, and remember on "game day" you can always run more then a regular day. you'll be great out there. you are a busy mom right now, you are amazing. i hope that you can figure out a schedule that works for you and your kids with school...again, YOU ARE AMAZING. hope your little man is feeling better soon, so not fun, for him or you. have a good week, i'll be praying for a good monday for you! :)

Anonymous said...

You would look good in whatever you wear. I can totally see you in the animal print dress, and I bet you'd get tons of compliments at church for it.

emandtrev said...

Trisha, I love this post. I'm glad you updated. Your kids are darling. I wish I would have read this sooner. The TOU comes right past my house. I could have cheered for you. I went to see Dr. Trek Lyons because I do, in fact, have IT band syndrome. No fun, but definitely treatable. I'd say if you can, go in and have someone check it out. He showed me some good stretches, gave me a topical analgesic, and recommended the band (sounds like you're good there). Next steps would be PT, a running eval, and/or cortisone shots. I've pretty much backed off for awhile because I was having a lot of pain.

And now I've yammered on with probably more than you need to know, but I think you will do great in school. Trust your instincts and do what feels best to you. Good luck!!

P.S. Love the animal print. I love almost anything I see on Shabby Apple.

Hope you are doing well!