CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Honestly

I don't always have it all together. What? You thought I did?
Ha, I know that is an obvious comment, but sometimes it just needs to be stated.
Blogs lend themselves to either extreme honesty or unbearable plastic-like happiness.
I don't really like either, I try to hit somewhere in the middle.
But tendencies for self-preservation and insecurities have me leaning toward the superficial more often than not.
No, I don't make stuff up. I just omit some of the sad things, and the things that are difficult to talk about, the things that expose me as an imperfect parent. You know what I'm talking about. Probably most of you have done the same at some point on your blog. If you have a blog.
So What I'm saying here is that I want to make an effort to at least occasionally post some real stuff. You know, "how do you really feel?"
Also, I don't want to condemn myself to being such a downer, there is plenty of uplifting "real" topics that I choose not to post about because it is more work.
And there is certainly a lot of room for all the fun too. And interesting projects.
What am I saying? I'm a little lost now myself!

So here's a first attempt, starting with something that I thought about a lot this past weekend.

It's difficult to be a single mom. I'm not drowning (yet!) but I definitely feel the toll of everything every so often.
It's not the physical demands that get to me, it's the emotional drain. I feel alone a lot of the time.
I have wonderful friends and fantastic family, it's not a lack of great people around me, it's just that some things I have to do on my own. And parenting is one of them.
I am not the first one to do this, or the last. And there are hundreds of other mommy's like me right now.
And, I know a lot of my friends have spouses that have very demanding work/church schedules and they are often as much of a single mom as I am.
I guess I don't want to claim special status here, I just want to express how I feel about what I am doing. With every respect to what others do every day too.
I am extremely blessed and lucky to have the things I do in my life.
I am able to stay home with my children, and I am able to go back to school, and I have a house to live in, and my needs are all met. I am truly blessed in so many ways.
Feeling overwhelmed is not exclusive to single parenting, I know.
This is kind of a list of things I need to say, and things I want to be better with.
I feel like I don't spend enough time playing with my kids.
I feel guilty about them having divorced parents.
I need to teach my children more about spiritual things. I need them to know I have a testimony of my Savior.
I don't clean my kitchen floor often enough. Not at all. And I need to vacuum.
I have several loads of laundry waiting to be folded, in fact, Naomi doesn't have clean underwear in her drawer anymore.
I loose my temper more often than I want to admit. I want to be sweet and kind, and sometimes I just get so frustrated. It's humbling to admit it, but I need to be a nicer mommy a lot of the time.
I love my children so much, and I want them to have everything. Not material, but every opportunity in life. I worry about their future.
I need to do more messy art projects with my kids.
We need to get outside and play more.
I feel selfish when I do things for me, but it's needed too. It's a balance that I am trying to figure out.
I want to be a great mom. And I'm trying. So this is just one way I'm committing myself to it, put it writing and admitting it to everyone who reads my blog. I love you all, I really do :)
Overall I am doing really well, I am making things work and my kids actually seem happy.
But I know I could do better, be better.
I don't want to settle for mediocrity.
Wish me luck and I wish you happy days too!

12 comments:

Creel Family said...

Thanks for being so honest. I know I'm not divorced but I related a lot to what you were saying. Some days being a mommy are overwhelming and I need to do better at all those exact things and more...good to know I'm not alone and wanted to let you know you're in my prayers.

Anne-Marie said...

Aw, honey. I'm sorry it's hard right now. I wish we were still in Logan so we could get together and let the kids run. Keep your chin up. You will figure it out and someday, all these hard times will all make sense. That, at least, is what I keep telling myself. Although I don't have the same trials you have, I have others and I TOTALLY feel your pain! Good luck and keep blogging. I don't know about you, but it always makes me feel better :).

Amy said...

That was hands down the BEST blog post I have read on anyones blog in a really long time. I admire you more then I am sure you will ever know. your human, and not afraid to be human. Thats what I love about you.

Krista said...

That was beautifully put! Just lately I've been feeling like a failure as a mom. My list- play with my kids more, yell at them less, discipline better... and on and on so I definitely hear ya there! We are our worst critics! And I hear ya about the blogging too. I want to be more real with my posts. Thanks for the inspiration! Call us to play some time!

Dani said...

I hear ya sister! Life if never what we plan, right? We've got to just keep pushing forward and looking for the good in our trials. :) Keep being your fabulous self.

Jenny said...

Ah crap! Wet clothes in the washer. Thanks for the reminder.

Kade and Katie said...

you are amazing!! keep smiling because you're beautiful and loved! being a mom is a tricky thing for me to figure out too, how to juggle it all? but trish, you are doing a fabulous job! and like you said, your kids are happy. you do need to take some time for you, and don't feel bad about that AT ALL!! this will help you be a better YOU. sometimes we are so busy trying to do and be for everyone else that we end up spent and exhausted! we can all do better, but sista, you are doing great, wonders, incredible!! you are a amazing mom! thanks for being honest and sharing feelings and thoughts that i am sure are tough to put out there! i love ya! you're in my prayers.

emandtrev said...

Trisha, you are an amazing woman and mom! Don't ever think otherwise. I think it is so very easy to become overwhelmed with life in general. I honestly appreciated and loved the honesty of your post. You are great, so don't ever think otherwise.

P.S. My kitchen floor (eh, and rest of the house) needs some serious cleaning love. Pretty much always. :)

Melissa Hernandez said...

I LOVE honest posts, I can relate to more than 1 of those!! There is no perfect mom out there!

Anderson Avenue said...

I was just thinking about the crackers that are ground into my carpet as I read that. I love how you said blogs are plasticy. I totally agree. I have often felt guilty about working and trying to be a mom and juggle it all. I often times think that I am not doing a good job at any of it. I think we all feel that way sometimes. We just do the best we can with the circumstances that we are given. I know from reading your blog that you are an amazing mom!! Keep your head up you are awesome!

The Over Family said...

From having read quite a few of your posts over the past few years, I think that you are a fantastic Mom! Truly, there are a lot of kids that aren't as lucky as your kids! I can tell that they know that you love them to pieces. No Mom is the same, every Mom is in a different circumstance, and no Mom is perfect. Just try your best...on most days. Because honestly, who doesn't have a day where they intentionally neglect all responsibilities and just think about themselves? We all do it. :) It's actually a pretty healthy behavior to think about yourself and your needs on occasion. Stop the guilt! :) You're an awesome person and Mommy! You're kids are blessed to have you! Hang in there!

Trishanelle said...

Had tears of happiness in my eyes!
A beautiful blog and i wish i had your energy....how many miles did you run?!!
Really don't want to say anymore other than i empathize with you more than you'll ever know.
God Bless.
Though you don't need me to say it?
You're doing so well. Thank you for being honest...your kids are lucky to have you as their mom.
PS: wet washing to hang out, dishes in the sink....ouch-time to get off the blog!