CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, August 16, 2008

(new) foods I love

I have lots and lots of foods that I love. But I put together a list of some new ones and a few old favorites:)
Totally a random post, but it was fun.




Nutella
How was it I was well into my 20's before I discovered this decadent treat? Probably because the label is "foreign looking" and my parents never bought it. If you have never tried this, please stop at the nearest grocery store and buy a jar. You will not regret it. It's like peanut butter but waaaay better. I think the traditional/normal way for people to consume this chocolate hazelnut "spread" is to put it on bread. A spoon will work fine. If you must eat it on something, I recommend dipping Nilla wafers.






Bueno Bar
I first tried one of these in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, about a year and 1/2 ago. We stopped at a grocery store to grab some snacks and this candy bar caught my eye. We bought one and I was hooked. It's so yummy. It's also hazelnut and chocolate (and wafers). You'll find a good review of it here. It's not really marketed in the U.S. but random stores will stock it. I had my sister who lives in Switzerland bring me back a stash last time she came for a visit. Sadly it's gone.





Raspberries
Does this one even need explaining? Probably not but I will anyway. I grew up on raspberries every August-September. I remember going as a family to Grandma and Grandpa Low's house to pick raspberries. We each had a bucket with a rope or old tie on the handle and then tied to our waist. I think I used to eat more than made it to the bucket back then.
My parents have had raspberry bushes for as long as I can remember too. At one point about half the garden was devoted to raspberries. I've learned from my mom how to make freezer jam. Last fall I took Naomi to a local farm here in Maryland where you pick your own produce. She picked right along with me, but probably ate most of her finds. I'm looking forward to going again next week- the raspberries are on!




Chocolate Milk
This is a new find. Well, I've aways loved chocolate milk but we all know it's full of fat, that's what makes it good right? Nope. At least not now. This brand Skinny Cow is awesome! It's so so so yummy. And yup, it's fat free. Plenty of sugar, yes- but whatever. I'm in love with it.



Fried Chicken
I decided that if I'm going to live in the South I had better learn how to make fried chicken. I've only done it twice but it was better the 2nd time. There are pages and pages of instructions, tips and recipes online for Southern Fried Chicken and each is just a bit different. There are a few basics that I've followed and from here on out it's just tweaking to get it just perfectly right. Peanut oil, soaking in buttermilk and the right seasonings seem to be the most important.
Unlike the chocolate milk, this one is NOT fat free:) I won't even put a link. If you want to make some too, just Google it- the info is endless.



Bacon
I just love bacon. Even when I was dead-to-the-world pregnant-sick I could still eat bacon.



Almonds
My parents used to buy a big bag of bulk nuts, with the shell, around Christmas every year. I honed my skills at nut cracking and discovered that almonds are not too difficult and definitely my favorite. I didn't even realize back then that you could buy almonds in a can, shelled.
I like smoked, roasted and salted but the natural raw ones are my very favorite.





Dark Chocolate M&M's
I hope they never discontinue these. I eat these by the handful. I have to hide the bowl/bag or I I have to share... Naomi always ends up with colorful stains on her shirt, and if I share with Zach they are just gone too fast. So- these are for me:)

9 comments:

Kyle said...

I love all those foods too, except I haven't tried the bueno bar, I'll have to try it! Picking raspberry's at grandma and grandpas was my favorite! And I still remember the little buckets with the rope on the handles. I think my favorite was the one with the old tie on it:)

Kyle said...

um, don't know why it said "Kyle" on the previous comment, that was from Ruth in case you were wondering. It's suppose to say "Ruth and Kyle" even though I'm the only one who ever blogs cuz he thinks it's a "girly" thing to do. I wonder why it did that.

Heather said...

It's funny that you blogged about Nutella. My friend Camilla just blogged about it being her new prego fave, I think I'm going to have to pick up a jar tomorrow!

Anne-Marie said...

Yum! What a great post! i may have to take this one and run with it :)

Kelly said...

You can eat all of these foods and still stay so thin? You are so dam lucky!! Great!!!

Jon. Jamie. Ethan. Lynsi. Katie. said...

Nutella is waaay YUMMMY!!! Jon introduced it to me since his Mom is from Germany and I LOVE IT ON BREAD!!!! Ethan also can down it with a spoon, fork, or finger works great! Fun post! Now I am hungry!

Jake and Emily Huckaby said...

I want your metabolism. :)

Stephen, Nadia, Mia y Ella said...

I love your post! I agree with you about nutella, i love it with saltines...
are you back in town? we should get together soon....
barkers

Jenny said...

I'm going to have to try that nut spread. Sounds heavenly. You should move to the NW, there are wild blackberries growing everywhere. I even had my first wild rasberry the other day camping. Funky, but still delicious.