CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Potty Mouth. Jk, just lots of talk about PT this post...


We are finally making some progress with potty training. SOME. Not a lot but if you step back and look at the week as a whole, we've come leaps and bounds!

We realized last night that it is probably not a good thing that we are getting upset/frustrated with her when she poops in her panties. So yuck but that's the way it goes. We reminded ourselves that she is SO just learning and that we up and changed ALL the rules on her and then expected her to just "get it" immediately. A week and a half ago, it was totally A-OK to poop and pee whenever, wherever. Then we tell her she must sit on the potty/toilet and go there. On command. Or else.

Really though, in all seriousness- she has been wearing pull ups the past two days because it just makes things so much less messy. And she goes "tinkle" -as we call it- nearly every time we put her on the toilet. We just have to remember our jobs here.

1. Put her on the potty every 1/2 hour to hour

2. Tell, don't ask if she wants to use the potty

3. Rewards! Praise! Excitement! when she does successfully go on the potty.

4. No getting upset/mad/disappointed when she poops/pees somewhere other than the potty. Even when she was JUST sitting on the potty.... Just be clear and calm about what we DO want and have her help clean up the mess.

5. Remember that she uses 1-2 diapers/pull ups in a 24 hour period now, instead of 4.


Also, I think she likes the attention, the one-on-one attention she gets when she's sitting on the potty. She likes us to read books to her:)


So I guess my one weeks worth of "experience" has helped me to learn that persistence, positive action/thinking and patience will win the race here.

4 comments:

Ben and Michelle said...

I don't know personally but I have friends who are in the process of potty training their kids and they are having a hard time. It seems frustrating but it sounds like you are doing a wonderful job. Miss you

Raegan said...

Sounds like you are a pro! Come and teach Jack when you're done with Naomi! I'LL PAY YOU! : )

Krista said...

That is very good advice. I have just been waiting until life settles down for us until I start with Trey. I will remember all these things you said though and I'm sure it will help!

Jenny said...

Hey Trisha!
Found your blog in a round about way and just wanted to say hi. I hate to burst your bubble, but I potty trained my little boy in two days! Granted he was three and a half,he was soooo ready. Good luck!
Jenny
(Wallis)