CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Chalk it up as a good week





Zach made a castle with a big 'ole box last week. It took him probably longer than he intended. But it's been well loved by Naomi. And also by her friends.

Then I had some leftover buttermilk from making fried chicken (see last post:) and remembered a creative idea from my days in school. Preschool that is. My professor during my undergrad days at USU for the Child Development Lab used the cool trick once of chalk+buttermilk.

If you dip sidewalk/colored chalk in buttermilk it gives it a much deeper and thicker color. Zach and I probably had the most fun with it. Sometimes you need to just sit down with your kids and color with crayons too, except this was more fun, definitely cooler:)


As for other fun and exciting news- as fun and exciting life with a toddler and baby all day can be... James had his first bowl of baby cereal! And he liked it.

He's been eating a bowl a day for 4 or so days and he's getting better and better. His hands like to get in the way though. He tries to grab the spoon and then sucks the cereal goop off his fingers, or smears it all over the table. He also dribbles it out a lot. He still has the tongue-thrust thing going on. He ends up eating nearly everything- meaning not that much is actually on his bib/hands/table. But it's still plenty messy.

Naomi could not be more thrilled that her baby brother is *finally* starting to "eat." She gets to help with a few spoonfuls each time we feed him. She's a little overzealous but he'll survive. I'm sure she'll end up feeding him plenty of food in the future.






I've started reading up (again, I forgot nearly everything) about baby food and what foods, when, etc. I also read a bit about introducing your baby to spices! I'm interested in adding a few of those in as we get going on foods for James. Here's an informative site: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/tipspices.htm

I also gave James a sippy cup with water for the first time last week. It's a love/hate relationship. Actually he likes it now, he gets small sips and Naomi is more than happy to assist him with holding the cup. Seriously, he'll never learn to do anything on his own with her around. Rolling over, drinking from a cup, holding his toys, rolling over, sitting up, eating his toys, rolling over. Just a few things she "helps" him with. "Tummy time for James!!!!"



6 comments:

Natalie said...

I love that Naomi likes to "help" you so much. Isn't that what big sisters are for? I'd never heard the buttermilk tip but your cardboard castle is gorgeous!!

Heather said...

Oh my goodness! He has gotten HUGE! His cheeks are the most adorable cheeks EVER!

Ben and Michelle said...

Trisha, I love the new family picture. You have a beautiful family.

Brad and Lezlee Strong said...

I love the new family pic! So cute!!! I also can't believe how big and adorable James is!!!! I'm also glad Naomi is your little helper!!

Tara Schwab said...

Hello Trisha-
I saw a link to your blog on Susanna's site. I hope you don't mind that I dropped by and took a peak.
I just wanted to say I always thought you were a really sweet person. I hope you are doing well.
You have a very beautiful family.
Take care-
Tara Schwab

Katy said...

A great finger food for whenever James is ready, which we loved to use to introduce spices to Oliver: tofu. We cut tofu into bite sized cubes and sprinkle whatever spices onto it. It's great with cinnamon and ginger. (Or at least, he thought so.) Plus, a dash of protein.

By the way, awesome castle.