CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Wild Things

Yesterday afternoon we went to see Where The Wild Things Are. We had 4 children with us and an assortment of adults.
I have loved this book for as long as I can remember. I don't think I ever thought about what it was "really about" until I was an adult and using it for a lesson plan at work. I had several circumstance influenced conclusions about it then.
Later as a parent I've come to appreciate different aspects of the book, it's like it's been an slowly evolving process of what this story means for me.
So naturally I've looked forward to this movie with excitement and maybe some apprehension. What if it's inadequate, or the story is too warped to be familiar or to pay proper homage to the original. Or what if it's just weird. That would be disappointing.
I also hoped it would be fun, crazy and and exciting adventure, a feel good movie about a little boy and his fantastic adventures.
Well. It's a little bit of all of the above.
The movie was slow paced and gloomy in a realistic way at the beginning. And it was captivating for the same reasons. You usually get an easy-fix Hollywood-run of the mill tragedy to deal with and the accompanying obvious easy fix. Max and his lonely little fears and sorrows were just closer to reality. Nothing horribly tragic, just regular life problems for a young boy and real life family who doesn't do everything perfectly.

No comments: