CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 19, 2010

Hello Spring (summer)

We have been having the best weather here. The best, I tell you!
I've been to more playgrounds and parks this past week than is probably good for me. Actually, that's not really possible is it?
Today was bordering downright hot. Naomi was outside frolicking, literally, in a sleeveless sun dress and I put James in a little muscle shirt. He's so cute in anything, I swear.
This morning we went exploring a little bit of our nearby wilderness. Spring Creek runs along the road we live on and it's quite the animal attraction. Last week I saw some deer, several geese, a muskrat and a pheasant, all at close range. Today we were graced with the presence of a funny little muskrat (we think?) that was popping up and down from his burrow. Naomi insisted on giving it a few pieces of the bread she brought for the ducks and geese. She dropped them down his hole and we left it alone. She was tempted to put her hand down, until I told her that the dang thing would probably bite her if she did that. That convinced her.
We eventually gave up on the geese and ducks, they must have been hiding. We packed a lunch to take to first dam, at the mouth of Logan Canyon. There's always a flock of birds hanging out there. We fed all the ducks, geese and gulls and threw sticks in the water until I was too hot to stay any longer. I had to keep my eye on Naomi, she was determined that she wanted to go swimming in there. It's kind of gross. With all the bird poop and all. And it's cold. We did see a duck egg before we left though, almost the highlight of the trip!
We swung by Lowe's and got ourselves outfitted with a hose, watering can, several pots of varying sizes and one plant each of Lavender, Sweet Basil, an Orange Bell Pepper. The tag said that the bell pepper will produce after 70-80 days. I hope we get one little pepper, I'd be happy with that.
And Lavender! How exciting! I'm going to learn how to use it for baths, we could all use some relaxation.
Or course Basil is just awesome. I will have to learn some new recipes, it's just so pretty sitting there, saying "cook with me!" If you have a favorite recipe using fresh basil, let me know, I am always, always on the lookout for new meal ideas.
Naomi helped me pot all these plants and our sad little pansies we bought at the grocery store last week. They were borderline dead. I think they'll be ok though. I assigned Noami as the official Pansy Gardener. No drowning of the plants allowed. She asked me what "drowning" meant. Too much water sweetheart. We got really messy with the potting soil. Naomi helped pour in the soil and was especially helpful with the watering. We made a mess but it was really fun. Activities like that help me to learn patience with Naomi. I mean that I learn to sit back and let her do it, her way. I'm still learning though.
All the while James was supposed to be napping in his crib. He took an hour to fall asleep. All that water foul was pretty exciting! Then when I went to get him after he woke up I found that he had thrown everything from his crib on the ground, had a very messy diaper and had broken one of the crib slats. Seriously...
Nothing a little wood glue won't fix. But something about James is a little bit destructive. He doesn't' know his own strength. The slat was actually first fractured by Naomi, and we tried gluing it but the crack came apart again, and  yeah, then we put James in there without really fixing it. Ooopsy. But he went two years without finding the crack until today. then he broke the darn thing clean out. Sheesh. I have a feeling that this is something I had better just resolve to accept as part of parenting a boy.
I was able to go for a run this evening while Zach tackled getting the kids ready for bed. I went too far, and the problem with that is that you still have to get back home. Sigh. So I walked until I felt like I wasn't going to collapse. I've been getting soft running on a tread mill, road running is different, harder, but so much prettier.
So today was a really great day, I love being home with my kids, warmer weather makes all the difference. It's great to be outside so much more. And I know it's part of being a kid, but it still takes me by surprise just how strong the draw to get outside is for Naomi and James.
Welcome Summer!
This photo is not from today, but I love it.

2 comments:

Emily + Eric said...

Trish - I have a recipe for basil chicken with fresh basil aioli that is so stinkin' delicious. I'll get it to you and you can make me some. :)

Trisha said...

Emily, if you come back to this blog to see this comment, then YES, please send me the recipe! I will gladly make a double batch and bring some to you!