CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Remember how awesome Barbies were?

A few days ago my parents said that the day had come for me to finally rid them of my old Barbie house and it's paraphernalia.

This house was built by a family friend for his little girl who in turn passed it along to me when she had grown out of it. I loved this Barbie house. It was awesome. My mom indulged my little sister and me and bought all kinds of little things for it. Like a popcorn popper, sewing machine, telephones, clock, washer and dryer, kitchen table, and appliances like a fridge and oven. I even had the most awesome, and very Barbie-pink, Corvette.
I had forgotten all about most of this. It was like being 7 years old again as Naomi and I opened the boxes and sorted things out. I played with Barbies until I was kind of old. I don't know exactly how old, but with a house like this, do you blame me?
Naomi's Princess dolls and my old Barbies are great friends already. Naomi is getting better at dressing them by herself and her fashion sense is hilarious. The old clothes I had were great. But mostly because there are a few Barbies and lots of clothes from my older sisters. From the 70's. These Barbies had straight bangs, California-tanned skin, and long straight blond hair. Mine have the curly-fuzzy look that was hot in the late 80's early 90's. There are aqua-colored unitards, with stirrups. One piece ski suits, with ski's boots and poles to match. Halter style one-piece outfits. Sweet. There seems to be a trend with the one piece. I also have a few pairs of MC Hammer pants for made custom for me by my little neighbor friend, Ashlee. I remember opening that birthday present. They were so cool!
I can't seem to find my Ken doll anywhere. I'll have to go back and look at my mom and dad's. I always made him drive Barbie's pink Corvette. Maybe now I should let her drive instead.
So, here's to a new age of Barbies. I had no idea how fun this girl stuff was going to be.
Anyone want to come and play Barbies with us?

8 comments:

Emily + Eric said...

I'll be there in 10 minutes.

Trish - first you whip out the Sarah Meyer birthday party aprons, and now this! Memory lane is such a fun road to travel down, especially when you get to visit barbie houses like yours. I personally loved playing barbies at your house. I'll bring over my barbies and we'll pl...ooops, I mean the kids will play and have a killer time!

Love ya!

Monson Family Fitness said...

Uh i totally do! and i remember playing with the barbies and your barbie house! it had absolutely EVERYTHING in it that you would need to play barbies! not to mention that the fridge was always stocked with food and there was a giant tub! so dang cool! i miss being a kid sometimes, but i'm glad i can act like a kid with my daughter now! have so much fun!

Natalie said...

its all coming back!! AS soon as I laid eyes on that stuff! So many little details. Love it.

Jacquee said...

i'm totally up for a Barbie play date. Want to haul all your gear to Texas?

Kelly said...

That is totally cool!!!! I like the picture of Naomi next to it to get perspective on how big it is. She is going to spend hours in there. How totally fun!!!

Jenny said...

I played til I was at least twelve. Does that make me weird or just really creative?

Do you really want to go on Monday? If so I need to find a babysitter for the little one because my mother is gone.

Raegan said...

I soooo remember playing Barbies with you! It's funny how you can not think about something at all... until there is a little trigger that brings back a flood of memories!

Cam and Hol said...

Peaches and Cream Barbie is at Target. I almost died when I saw it. I think I send an early letter to Santa.