CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 21, 2008

something old, something new...

Nope, no one is getting married. I just have a few thoughts I had running around my brain I wanted to let loose here:)

First, something Old. I don't think I ever announced our decision for where we will be spending next summer. After a very busy and crazy process of interviews for Zach during the first few months of school this year we had narrowed down our choices to three places that he had offers. Sorry, to clarify- offers to work as a summer intern for a law firm. One of the three we were deciding between was here in DC, one was in Phoenix and the third was in Charlotte. After much weighing of the options and trying our best to decide which firm and place was best we came to the conclusion that all three were really good choices! We prayed about it and thought about where we really want to be living the first few years or more our of law school. That's important because generally after your summer internship you get an offer to work at the firm as an associate once you finish your third and final year of school. Well, unless you did a horrible job :P So after considering all that again, and then again, Charlotte was the winner, I mean answer. Now that the decision has long since been made, I've been feeling really good about it.
We will spend 7 weeks there this summer and then the remaining half of the summer we will be going to Logan! Zach was just very recently offered a position to clerk for a law firm in Logan for the second half of the summer. We are really excited because we will get to spend the summer with family again. Plus I will be welcoming the helping hands of family members this summer with our new baby:) Thank goodness for Grandmas.

And for something New.
Today I took Naomi to have some blood drawn to test her lead levels. Her pediatrician wanted me to get it done sometime before she turned two. I had her hematocrit (iron levels) tested a while ago, it was just a toe prick and Naomi didn't even cry. So I wasn't' too worried about this today.
When the nurse came in I asked if she would be drawing blood from her finger or foot. Silly me. The answer was "her arm."
Oh.
I realized then that they needed a little more blood than I had anticipated. Naomi sat on my lap and I held her arm. They took the blood just like they would for an adult, using a rubber band thing to stop blood flow and then slid a little needle-type thing into her little inner arm, and collected the blood into two little vials. She screamed and cried and told us it was "owie, owie, owie!" I felt sooo horrible, but it was over pretty quickly. Once she was done the nurse taped the guaze pad on and we were out of there. Naomi was over it instantly, because if you've ever had your blood drawn you know that it stops hurting as soon as the needle is out, usually before that even. She was pretty brave afterward:) Once we got home I put a cute sesame street band aid on it.
I'll get the results at Naomi's 2 year well child appt next month. Hopefully it's all good.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

poor naomi... :( but congrats on the internship!! that will be neat to go somewhere totally different! i would love that!

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, and your hair is so cute!!

Jacquee said...

Congrats on the internship! Charlotte will be totally fun! Poor Naomi, we miss her so much! Hope all is well with your little family.

Rachel said...

Congrats on Charlotte! That should be a fun adventure.... and I always loved spending time with family during those summers - you'll love it! (and miss it when you won't have 6 weeks to spend away at home).

Dani said...

Charlotte huh? I'm excited for you guys! (does that mean you'll be closer to Outerbanks?

Natalie said...

Oh, the blood draw is the worst! We actually had to have Charlie's blood drawn when he was only 7 weeks old. I had no idea you could even find a vein in his itty bitty arm. That was a heartbreaker for sure...

Theurer Clan said...

I can't imagine watching my baby's blood being drawn like that. I can't even look when my blood is drawn. You both are sooo brave! What great news about this summer. It all sounds perfect!

Sarah said...

So sad for Naomi, is there something going on with her? It's not routine (here anyway) to get your blood drawn unless there is a problem. Yea! I'm excited you're coming home this summer since I didn't get to see you at Christmas:)