CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, November 03, 2008

Pie

I am a cake girl. I pick cake over pie always. My mom makes the best chocolate layer cake I've ever tasted. She uses two round cake pans and then slices each round cake to make four layers with whip cream between them and then covers the whole beautiful cake with chocolate frosting. I love it. So do most people who've tried it. I wish I had a picture to post.

So when it came to birthdays I would always request a chocolate cake, never a pie!

Once I got married (nearly 7 years ago!) I started to make a few different pies. I started out easy with banana cream (my dad's favorite) and chocolate cream (of course). I later added a new favorite of mine, key lime pie. It's delicious. I'll post the recipe below if I can find it. I first tried key lime pie at good ol' Village Inn in Logan, UT. I was instantly hooked. Some of my favorite treats are related to that discovery. I love Stewart's key lime soda and Yoplait key lime pie yogurt.
A week or so ago Zach started talking about how he loves pumpkin pie, and is excited to have some for Thanksgiving. I've never baked a pie;) So I shrugged it off. Then I spotted the cans of pumpkin at the grocery store while I stocked up on chocolate chips (for cookies- I love to bake cookies). I grabbed a small can and turned it around. It was Libby brand and they have a pie recipe on the back. I realized it called for really simple ingredients and I could give it a try. We were going to the Piersons for dinner and trick-or-treating that night so I thought bringing a pumpkin pie to a Halloween dinner was so appropriate.

I enlisted Naomi's help with the stirring and together we made a darn good pumpkin pie! I had to bake it for 25 extra minutes past the recommended 45. I made a second one yesterday, same thing with the cooking time, I guess it varies with ovens quite a bit.

I was so pleased when the pie turned out to taste really good! I definitely did it the easy way to start. I used canned pumpkin and frozen pie crusts, but it was a great start. I'm hoping that if I go to the extra effort of making my own crust and even buying a pumpkin it will turn out heavenly. We will see.

I've always loved to bake and I'm so excited to finally realize that pies aren't so tricky! I have a delicious apple pie recipe I need to try, maybe this afternoon.

So I am turning pie. So long cakes, you have taken a back seat (for now).
Not the greatest picture, just visualize a perfect slice on a pretty plate with a large dollop of whip cream on top;)
And just a few more halloween pics I missed, Naomi was proud of her pumpkins.

3 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE pumpkin pie!! There is nothing better. AND jon loves me enough to make them for me from scratch, meaning scratch crust and scratch pumpkin...I don't know how he does it, I've never tried, but as long as he will do it for me.... :) Enjoy all your new discoveries :)

Jenny said...

I've heard the pumpkin from scratch is nasty. Also, the Marie Calander frozen crusts are almost as good as homemade crust, and much prettier. So my point is don't beat yourself up about it, sometimes convenience actually tastes better.

Adam and Cassie Pierson said...

Your pie was very yummy! Thanks for making it and bringing it. I makes me sad to realize that you guys won't be here for next Halloween. :( Guess I'll have to travel to Charlotte to get a picture of our cute princess'.