CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 04, 2008

Best Play Dough Recipe



I'm not totally sure where I originally found this recipe but it's a good one. We get out the play dough probably at least once a week around here, Naomi loves it. Today I decided it was time to make some new dough. I do buy it occasionally too but it's fun to make, Naomi helped me measure all the ingredients and stirred them together.

In medium bowl add:
2 1/2 Cups Flour
1/2 Cup Salt
1 Tbs Alum
3 Tbs Oil
Boil 2 Cups water. I do this in the microwave, about 4-5 minutes ought to get it hot enough.

Add food coloring to water. More drops = brighter/darker color. I add to the water and not the mixture as a whole because then it is more evenly distributed- and doesn't end up on my hands when I knead the dough.

Mix ALL ingredients with spoon until a dough forms, dump onto table and knead until smooth.
I've found that on rainy days I need a little more flour, if it's too sticky just add little bits of flour until it resembles a nice big wad of stale bubble gum! Sorry, that's what it reminded me of today:) We also added some silver glitter to the green dough today, it sticks to the dough really well, don't worry that you'll have glitter everywhere.

Store this in the fridge in a zippy baggie, it lasts FOREVER. The last batch I threw out finally because I was sure it had picked up all kinds of gross things over the past month, not because it was stale or whatever.
Ok, have fun making (and playing with) play dough!

5 comments:

Monson Family Fitness said...

I was helping with an art camp this summer, and in the cooking part they taught the kids how to make play dough...it's very similar to the recipe you listed but instead of adding food coloring, she would add a packet of kool-aid and that colors it and makes it smell good too!

E said...

Hi Trish!
I didn't realize you had a blog - I've linked to it so I can check in on you!

Trisha said...

Brandy-
I forgot all about using Kool-Aid:) It really does make it smell soooo good. And adds to the "bubble gum" effect too!

Mick and Tiff said...

Addy is too little to play with this yet but I am totally going to make this stuff for me!!! (ha ha)

Mandy D said...

Hey you guys! I am so excited you have a blog. We were wondering how you were doing and now I am completely updated! Congrats on expecting!