CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wellsville Mountains

Last Saturday I went hiking with my parents. It was fun, I felt a little like I was a young again, just me, hanging out with the 'rents.

I invited them to hike the Wellsvilles with me, it had been since I was about 14 since any of us had done that hike. Last time it was Jesse, Me, Natalie and my Mom and Dad. I remember a lot of bugs and the beautiful view from the top.

This time we went late enough in the season to miss the bugs, yay! But we also missed the wildflowers.

We drove to the Cold Water trail head in Mendon after stopping to ask directions. We couldn't remember how to get there, it had been too long. I packed my water, granola bars and some candy and started hiking! We stared out pretty solid, but slowed down once we started gaining elevation quickly. My mom decided she was done about 3/4 of the way and my Dad and I hiked on without her to the top. That last bit was seriously steep and we were kinda tired. But we made it!

It was really a beautiful hike, lots of shade and challenging but not killer. I was not being smart that morning and thought it would be a good idea to wear shorts, so I wouldn't be so hot. My shins are nice and scratched now. I love being so brilliant.

Next time I want to start at Deep Water canyon, also from Mendon, and hike up, and then along the ridge all the way over to the canyon. You have to leave a car at each end and it would be a longer hike, but you would enjoy the views for so much longer. Hiking is awesome, and it saved me from doing a long run that I was feeling super unmotivated for that day.

It is such a spectacular view from the top. Amazing. You can see for what feels like forever from there. Those mountains are the world’s steepest range (as measured by the ratio of width to height).

My Dad, view of Box Elder county- West


About half-way up, this is the Cutler marsh/wetland area in Cache Valley


At the trail head

No comments: