CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, October 27, 2007

On My Mind


Moon Sand

When I was in New York with Nat we went to the huge and super fun Toys 'R Us. I found a hands-on display of Moon Sand and decided to buy a pack:)
It's a play dough-like idea but definitely different. For one thing, it's sand, not dough. So for those of you who haven't had the fun of playing with it for yourselves, I'll outline the new product. (I think it's new, but I'm not really up to speed on these kind of things.)

Pros:
Never dries out
Does not stick to clothing or any other surface, except fingers a little:) Kind of like sand at the beach.
Can be vacuumed up if it's on the floor, no problem
It's a cool texture
Doesn't leave oily residue on my table like my home-made play dough.
Is a lot like sand at the beach, if you had enough you could build a sand castle!

Cons:
You need a dish or pan to play with it in, it can get all over otherwise
It is lacking that molding ability you get with play dough- no rolling out snakes:)

Really that's it. The second "con" is really the most major drawback but for Naomi it wasn't an issue. She had fun raking and scooping and dumping and rubbing it all over. Pretty much what she likes to do with play dough. So there you go, your own personal product review.

Also on my mind...
My sewing machine. I love having one! I'm no expert sewer but I'm coming up with small projects and am totally amazed at how many things I need to sew now that I have my sewing machine out and available! I'm also amazed that it's way easier than I thought. Also it's kind of addicting. I love buying fabric, I just need to figure out how to make it into great finished products more often.
Recently I have sewn a hoodie towel for a friend as a baby gift, made a baby sling (again), fixed about 5 various items of clothing that needed a little help, Finished the edges on a little quilt for my wards Super Saturday- we are tying quilts for humanitarian aid, and "finished" the edges of some swaddling blankets I never got around to when I was using them for Naomi. So really I'm pretty proud of myself! I'm just getting started.

And another thing...
I have TONS of apples. My mom sent a bunch back with Zach when he was in Utah a few weeks ago and then again with Natalie when she came. I've eaten almost all the granny smith (my favorite) and have lots of a red kind.
I want to make applesauce. So I'm going to Google some recipes but if any of you have some great ones please share.

And- Goodbye to thebabysitter hanging high chair. Naomi is too big for it now. She doesn't weigh too much but her legs are too long, she can push her feet against the pedestal-type thing that holds our table up. She pushes so far that it nearly slides the chair off. Soooo. I bought her a booster seat! She LOVES it. She picked pink, not blue. And wants to sit in it all the time.


And lastly:)
I took Naomi to her new doctor here in Maryland yesterday for her "18" month check up. Naomi is 20 months but oh well:) Dr. Kadow was soooo nice! I liked her a lot. But the receptionist was a bit nasty but what can you do?
Naomi was "off the charts" for height. She's 35.5 inches tall and I guess that puts her above the 97 percentile for height. I'm not sure where she's getting her height. For weight she's totally average. The downside to this height thing is that she keeps growing out of her pants! Right now she's in some 18-24 mo. pants that are looking just a little bit like floods:)

So there's my random thoughts. Sometimes I just need to treat this blog like a journal.
OH, and this is post 100 for me! yay!

6 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

That is so fun! I'll have to check out that sand stuff....good luck with the applesauce, I'm not brave enough. and,...I'm jealous of your sewing machine! kudos to you for being so productive!!

Granny said...

Great booster. I may not comment here enough to be on your blogroll but the url is
rocrebelgranny.blogspot.com

Susanna said...

That is so cool that she is off the charts. I'm lucky if my kids are in the 15th percentile for anything. I love her cute pink booster, my boys have the same one but blue.
P.S. you look so cute in your pics with your sister. What a cute pregnant woman you are.

Jon. Jamie. Ethan. Lynsi. Katie. said...

I always thought that Naomi looked tall from the pictures you post of her...but off the charts? Really? What do you feed her? Ethan is pretty tall too, people ask me all the time if he is 3 or 4 years old...he's not even 2 yet!
Oh! I also wanted to ask you where you got that high chair that hooks to your counter....Jon had one when he was little and I didn't think that they made them anymore. Are they safe? Just curious!

Brad and Lezlee Strong said...

Love the moon sand! We use it nursery and it never dries out that for sure! Anyways great pics! I wanted to let you know that I've tagged you. So check out my blog for details! You are darling pregnant! Luckily I read in your blog that you were or else I wouldn't even nave noticed! You are gorgeous!

Sarah said...

I'm so proud of you for sewing. I guess Home-Ec must have taught you something. Remember good ol' Mrs. Christensen? Well, I bought a sewing maching the day after Thanksgiving last year and still haven't gotten it out of the box. Any tips? Love the baby-sitter chair. Did I give you that? Mark Simmons is still making them I think. I still give them away and have people ask about getting one all the time. I love it!