CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Make your own baby sling!

I've always wanted to do a "tutorial" of sorts on this blog but I've never really felt like I had much to offer. But lately I've been helping and showing others how to make baby slings. And I'm no expert on sewing, on the contrary, so that is why I decided to post this. If I can do this, then you can too. All you really need is a sewing machine or access to one, thread and of course fabric to make your sling.

1. Buy 2 yards of fabric.

I've used thicker "waverly" and "cotton duck" fabrics and I've used corduroy, that's more of a medium fabric and also regular "quilting" fabric which is thinner. Some instructions I've read have recommended using the thick fabrics or doubling the quilting type for a strong enough sling. I think it's not going to make a big difference, the thinner will hold just fine. Just find some fabric you love and buy 2 yards!
~Buy 1/8 yard of batting if you want to make padding for older babies/toddlers using the hip carry position. (see #15 below)
2. Unfold your fabric and CUT it length-wise to be 22 inches wide. So you have a piece of fabric 22 inches by 2 yards. (you will have two identical pieces actually but will only be using one.)
Usually this is just about half of the total fabric. The other half that you won't be using is enough to make a whole 2nd sling. So, save for later or make one for a friend!


3. Fold your fabric in half so it is wide, "hamburger" style if you will:) Have the cute edges to your right.



4. Now fold your fabric up so it is narrow, "hot dog" style this time. the four corners of your fabric will be in the top right hand corner.


5. Measure yourself in the front only from shoulder to hip.

The is basically where your sling will sit, measure to the place on your hip where you would like the sling to hit. My measurement is about 25 inches. It's not a big deal to be SO exact on this. Just get a good idea of how big around you need your sling.

6. Mark that measurement across the top of your "sling" from the left top corner to X number of inches. I use a pin as a marker.
7. Now measure across the bottom of the "sling" your original top measurement (25 for me) and then add 3 inches, (25 + 3 = 28). Mark this with a pin or fabric marker or pen, whatever you have:)



You now have two measurements at the top and bottom of your fabric that are 3 inches difference.

8. Now CUT (ahhh wait, wait. Make SURE you have your CUT edges to the right of your marked measurements and the UNcut part of the fabric is on the far left side, where your measurements start.)

Ok, now CUT your fabric from "25" inches to "28" inches making a rounded half smile cut.



9. Unfold your fabric down so you now have a full smile, rounded edge.



10. Now comes the sewing:) Sew the rounded edge ends together at about 1/4" in.
(SEE #15 and #20 for "idea" to start with sewing the edges before this seam.)


11. Turn your SLING inside out and flatten out the edge you just sewed. You are going to "encase" the seam you just made by sewing at about 1/2" in. The edges that are now inside the sling will be sewn inside your new seam.


12. Now open your sling and you will now sew the seam you just made down. It sticks up, you just fold it down to one side and sew it flat. (Be sure you you "opened" up the sling so you are sewing this down to only one layer of the fabric!)


That is called a French Seam!


14. Now make a 1/4" seam around the edge of one side of the whole sling, either side- it doesn't matter.

Some people like to iron or pin before they sew their seam but I think it's just as easy to just fold as I go.


15. On the other side of the sling you can either do the same thing and make a 1/4" seam and be done! OR you can make a wide 2" or so seam/pocket so you can put padding in for an older babies/toddlers legs. The padding is nice for them because of the position you carry them, the hip carry, their legs stick out the bottom of the sling and the padding cushions their little thighs.
Personally I think the padding is nice but not necessary. I have made and used both and Naomi didn't seem to have a preference:)
So to make the padding pocket/seam you need to realize that I am NOT an expert at this sewing thing and am yet to have my seam turn out perfect. Because the fabric is a rounded edge (from the french seam) it makes for imperfectness on my part when I sew this final edge. Some of you may have ideas or the solution, maybe I should sew the sides before I make the french seam. I'll have to try that next time.
16. Ok, so I fold the edge of my fabric about 1/4" and then fold it out about 2 inches or so. So your rough edge is folded over but you have enough space to stuff padding in a minute.
17. Tack the fabric down at the french seam to hold in place.


18. Measure out about 3" to one side of that center seam and sew your wide seam down, leaving an unsewn portion between where you started and the part you tacked to the french seam.

19. Sew all the way around, keeping the seam about 2" wide.


20. Once you near the center seam (french seam) stop about 3 inches short of it.

This is where I run into trouble:) I have "extra" fabric on the back side since it's a curved seam and I just make a "pleat" with the extra at the center seam. I pinned it so I knew where I would sew it, (the first picture). It's not perfect but it's fine and it doesn't look bad, I just need to figure out how to avoid that. Like I said above, maybe I should do these edges first, and then the french seam.



21. Measure about 8" from the center seam. Sew a straight line stitch across your 2" seam, closing off the seam at that point. Do this on each side.


22. Now find a spatula or wooden dowel or maybe even broom stick handle for stuffing the padding in.


23. Stuff batting in on each side from the center openings to the closure stitches you just made until it feels soft, firm enough and not lumpy. I filled mine to about the opening from where I was stuffing, so about 3" each side from the center seam.



24. Sew the padding pocket closed with another straight stitch across your 2" seam.



You should have two padding pockets to either side of the french seam and just the openings on each side of the center there to sew up!
25. Finish your 2" seam to the center on each side. Remember that I had to tuck my extra fabric under the center seam on one side. So if you do to don't feel bad:)
26. Viola! You are DONE. You have successfully made a baby sling and they are SOOO easy to use!



This particular sling I made for my (awesome) sister-in-law Erica who just had her 3rd baby boy!!!! Henry George Low. I hope she likes it!
Here are some links to sites that show ways to wear them and also the instructions that I based mine off of.
They sell some really cute slings but they are priced from $40-$60's. Hotslings has a sale going one and a few sings are $28-$30's. Making one like mine costs about $5-$10, depending on how expensive your fabric is (and that you only use 1/2 of it to make one sling, one yard.)
Granted theirs are "perfect" :) and they come in some neat fabrics, they often have a pocket on the outside, and some are reversable and/or organic! (Yes, you can buy organic baby clothing too.) So they have a nicer product so they charge a lot but I think it's really A LOT to pay. So I make them:)
http://www.mykarmababy.com/pages/BabySlingPattern.php
http://www.mykarmababy.com/pages/AllKarma.php
http://www.mykarmababy.com/pages/instructions.php
http://www.hotslings.com/
http://www.hotslings.com/s.nl/it.I/id.5/.f

4 comments:

Brad and Lezlee Strong said...

You are amazing!! I am going to give it a try sometime in the future! I loved the material too!!!

Erica said...

Ha! I love it! Those are great instructions, but I'm thrilled not to have to use them. What a great baby present... Thanks! You are so talented Trisha!

M said...

Trisha!
I love this. I should totally do this for my next baby now that the directions are right here in front of me. Thanks!

Anne-Marie said...

that is amazing!! I love it! Maybe I'll try it sometime when I'm feeling particularly crafty....I wish I had a sewing machine!!