CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Tutus!




Naomi has two tutus that she absolutely adores. I made them for her after learning how from a friend and using instructions on a very helpful website. This site shows using a slip knot instead of a double knot, either is good.

They are fun to make and require NO SEWING:)

I used thin (about 1/8") elastic and just tied the ends together. You cut your tulle in strips that are double the length you want the tutu to be. Naomi's were 2 feet to start, making the tutu about a foot long. You simply measure your elastic for how big the waist should be, make it snug since it's elastic and will stretch. Cut your tulle in strips, about 4-6" wide and tie the tulle in a double knot onto the elastic. Each end from your knots you tied should be equal lengths, hanging down to make the skit of the tutu. I sometimes used a couple strips of of tulle per knot, layering 2-3 of different colors and then tying them together onto the elastic to make the skirt fuller or more colorful.

You can buy tulle by the yard at WalMart sewing dpt. or JoAnn's has tulle in 6" wide spools, which makes it really easy:) Buy a lot, like maybe 5 yards for a fluffy tutu, use less as you go if you want. Tulle can be pretty cheap if you catch it on sale. I got mine for about $1-$2/yard. And get a few different colors that you want to use together. I used a most of a 20 yard spool for Naomi's pink tutu. (There's less total tulle on spool than "by the yard" fabric, obviously, since it's only 6" wide.)

6 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

that is so fun! you are such a super mom!! :)

Brad and Lezlee Strong said...

You are MARTHA STEWART! You amaze me. Each week you are pulling out something new and amazing! Love it! Keep them coming. I'm starting a book of all your ideas!

Creel Family said...

She looks so cute! If I had a girl, I would so make one...actually, when I do have a girl someday, I will make one!

Suz said...

Trish, It's Suz. She is a doll. How have you been? I hope well. Congrat's on the Baby. Come check out my new blog @ zacnsuz.blogspot.com
Suz

Jon. Jamie. Ethan. Lynsi. Katie. said...

What a cute idea! You are Amazing! Do you sew your own clothes? YOu GO GIRL!!!! I might need to make a tutu if I ever have a girl. Hopefully this site will be available in like 10 years!

Kera said...

You are quite the little crafty mama :) she's crafty!
Tutos are the cutest little thing. I wish I could get away with wearing one.